The Malaysian beauty sector has a newcomer, and this Borneo skincare brand is both vegan and cruelty-free. Olumes (pronounced: oh-lu-miss) is named after the Kadazan-Dusun word for “beautiful,” and it’s the best way, to sum up, the brand’s ethos: capturing the beauty of nature and using Bornean ancestral skincare secrets to create the best products possible.
One of the many issues OLUMES addresses as a brand through the implementation of well-positioned products and treatments, is the issue of enlarged pore problems. Unfortunately, larger pores are common, and they can make your skin appear dull and unhealthy. It could even make you appear older than you are! It may also cause severe acne in certain people. Depending on the type of skin, a person’s pores may be visible.
Reasons For Enlarged Pores
- It Could Be Genetics
Pore size is largely determined by genetics, so if your parents had big pores, you’re likely to have them as well. Your skin pores might enlarge and open around your cheeks, forehead, and nose as a result of your genes. Furthermore, failing to properly care for your skin can result in the accumulation of dead skin and the stretching out of your pores.
- Increased Sebum Production
Excessive sebum production is the main cause of enlarged pores. A sebaceous (oil) gland is found in each pore and secretes sebum. And oily skin results when sebaceous glands create too much oil. Even though sebum is a natural moisturizer for the skin, excessive production is a major issue. Now you know why your pores are enlarged!
- Loss Of Skin Elasticity With Age
Isn’t it true that aging is unavoidable? As you get older, your skin loses elasticity, causing your pores to appear larger than they should be. It also makes your skin look sagging and strained. Pore enlargement is a natural component of the aging process, as collagen production in the skin decreases, leaving the skin less firm.
- Sun Damage
Increased sun exposure and a humid atmosphere can deplete collagen in your skin, resulting in wrinkles and big pores. Collagen formation is essential for maintaining the firmness and health of your skin. Furthermore, UV exposure can cause sagging around the edges, lowering the skin’s water levels.
- Large Hair Follicles
Each hair has a follicle, and each follicle is located beneath a pore. Pores are the openings in the hair follicles. When your hair follicles are huge, so are your pores!
OLUMES focuses on 3 unique pore reduction approaches, which include:
- Aiming to firm the skin so pores will be less visible (we formulate our products with active ingredients that boost collagen production so skin will hold its firmness – sagging skin and loss of elasticity will make pores sag and appear bigger).
- Increasing skin turnover so the dead skin cells won’t be accumulated in the pores (dead skin cells, if not removed every day, can accumulate inside and on the edge of the pores that will dilute and make the pores larger. We formulate our product with a combination of AHA, BHA and PHA to gently remove this dead skin cell every day so pores will be cleaner, and appear smaller).
- Preventing skin oil (sebum) from oxidizing and blocking the pores. Oxidized sebum will turn dark in color, thus, when this oxidized sebum accumulates in pores, pores will appear larger and risk developing blackheads and acne. We formulate our product with a combination of powerful antioxidants that will prevent natural sebum from oxidation and prevent blackheads and acne.
Enlarged pore problems are very prevalent for many of us who strive to take better care of our skin, and the solutions can often be few and far between. Fortunately, OLUMES focuses on these three highly-effective strategies for tackling the essence of enlarged pore issues so you can reap the benefits of our work to improve the health of your skin.
OLUMES is a clean beauty brand harnessing the wisdom of the rich heritage of Kadazan-Dusun culture that practices an age-old beauty secret using Borneo’s rich botanical treasure.
Learn more at https://www.olumes.com/