It’s 9pm and you finally get to wind down and have your rest after a long busy day. You change into your pj’s and hop into bed only to realise that you have yet to remove your makeup and do your nighttime skincare routine. You grumble in frustration and pull the covers over your head because you’re too tired to do anything else and just want to get some shut-eye. “It doesn’t matter anyway. I’ll just do it in the morning,” you thought to yourself while you doze off into the land of slumber…
STOP, RIGHT THERE! Don’t go to sleep just yet. There is a reason (multiple reasons actually) why they say that we should always remove our makeup before bed and do our skincare routine.
Why is a nighttime skincare routine important?
During the day, our skin is exposed to various pollutants, dirt and UV rays which can negatively affect it. With the help of sunscreen and our morning skincare ritual, the skin produces sebum to keep itself moisturised while defending us against the elements. However, all these sebum, grime and makeup will end up mixing by the end of the day and clog your pores if not removed by night.
Protecting by day, restoring by night. Did you know that when we go to sleep at night, our body doesn’t? Nighttime is when our skin works the hardest for us to repair all the damage done to it in the morning.
What are the benefits of having a proper nighttime skincare routine?
- Assist in cell restoration: The level of melatonin produced by our body is especially high at night. Melatonin is a powerful antioxidant which helps the skin to repair itself. A combination of a proper nighttime skincare routine with natural melatonin is optimal to give your skin the boost it needs to repair itself.
- Minimise moisture loss: When your skin is bare, any preexisting moisture quickly disappears right out of it. Since our skin creates less sebum at night, moisturising at night can help your skin stay hydrated throughout the night and reduce transepidermal water loss.
- Healthier skin: Our face may just be the dirtiest part of our body. Your face may have been touched throughout the day, even if you don’t wear makeup every day. So, removing your makeup and cleansing your face is essential to stop acne-causing bacteria from spreading and maintaining healthy skin.
- Better absorption gives better results: At night, when skin permeability is at its peak, the components in your skincare products can penetrate the skin more deeply, which lets the ingredients do its intended purpose. You’ll be surprised when you wake up with smooth and supple skin!
How to find the routine that works for you?
When it comes to skincare, there is no one solution that works for everyone. Not everyone has the same skin type, skin concerns or even sleeping conditions. This is exactly the reason why you should tailor your skincare routine with these factors in mind.
If you have oily skin or you’re prone to getting acne, opt for lightweight products that have a fast-absorbing formula. But if you have dry skin, your main goal for your nighttime skincare routine should be to minimise moisture loss and keep your skin hydrated throughout the night by using nourishing moisturiser.
If you’re prone to getting acne, be on the lookout for products with ingredients that combats scarring and diminishes acne. On the sidenote, if you have mature skin and are concerned with fine lines and wrinkles, use products that boost skin rejuvenation and promote firmer skin so that the skin appears younger and a youthful complexion may be achieved.
Being in a cold air-conditioned room for a long period of time can actually dry out your skin. So if you sleep with the air-conditioner on, in order to keep your skin hydrated through the night, make sure to include a hydrating moisturiser at the end of your nighttime skincare routine in order to create a protective barrier against the cold dry air.
The nighttime skincare routine steps for you
STEP 1: Remove makeup
You should begin your nighttime skincare routine by removing your makeup so that your pores won’t be clogged up from all the gunk and makeup you’ve accumulated on your face throughout the day. Use a gentle makeup remover that won’t irritate your skin to thoroughly remove all the makeup off your face. If you don’t wear makeup, then you’re one of the lucky ones since you can just skip to Step 2!
STEP 2: Cleanse
Cleansing your face after removing your makeup helps the other products to be better absorbed into the skin. Once you’ve thoroughly removed your makeup, use a gentle cleanser to remove and wash away all the excess impurities that are left on your skin. OLUMES’ Self Foaming Protein Cleanser’s light and airy foam provides gentle but deep cleansing that helps wash away daily pore-clogging debris, impurities and excess oil.
STEP 3: Tone
In order to prep your skin for the next step, dispense some toner onto a cotton pad and gently apply it to the face and neck. The Clarifying Toning Lotion is perfect for those who want to clear breakouts, decongested pores, curb excess sebum and smooth bumpy skin. The Refining Lotion on the other hand is an exceptional resurfacing elixir that your skin needs to achieve a younger-looking complexion and enviable glow.
STEP 4: Serum
Numerous skin concerns can be treated by using a serum. After toning, use the Botanic Bio Placenta Serum to help improve the look of scars, acne, minimise post-blemish scarring and revive your complexion.
STEP 5: Moisturise
It’s important to moisturise your skin since it gives it the nutrients it needs and aids in healing damage. The award-winning Satin Cream by OLUMES refines skin texture, visibly softens the look of wrinkles and fine lines, shrinks the look of pores, rejuvenates and boosts skin elasticity for a redefined, youthful effect.
Extra tips for some magical beauty sleep!
- Complete your skincare routine at least 20-30 minutes before going to bed so that the products can be absorbed into your skin and not end up on your pillowcase.
- Talking about pillowcase, use a silk pillowcase because it’s smoother on the skin which will help to slow down the formation of wrinkles caused by friction between the face and pillowcase.
- The Mighty Emulsion is packed with reinvigorating activities that promote firmer, lifted look so skin appears younger, smoother and revitalised. It can also be used as your daily serum or moisturiser!
Now you know that a proper nighttime skincare routine is indeed necessary, discover more of OLUMES’ products to build a perfect nighttime skincare routine for you!